Keep it Simple — Recipes
Here are 2 of the 112 recipes in my book "Keep it Simple"
German Roast Potatoes (Bratkartoffeln)
1kg potatoes, unpeeled
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp avocado oil
100g lean smoked bacon, cut into strips
2 medium onions, sliced
pinch white pepper
- Wash potatoes but do not peel.
- Cook in salted boiling water until just tender. Don’t overcook — potatoes must be firm. Drain off the water. Leave the potatoes in the pot with the lid on, for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and allow potatoes to cool. Peel and slice the cooked potatoes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan. Sauté bacon and onion until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Do not wash the pan or wipe out the bacon remnants.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add cooled sliced potatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper and fry until the potatoes are golden and crispy. Shake the pan occasionally while frying.
- Return the crisp bacon and onions to the pan and toss gently with the potatoes.
- Sauté for another 5 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hot with fried eggs or sausages.
- Cook potatoes a day ahead or use leftover potatoes.
- Use ground paprika as seasoning.
- Make plenty — you can be sure this will be a popular dish.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
Ingredients - List 1
4 cups jumbo rolled oats
½ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup linseeds
1½ cups sunflower seeds
2 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp cooking oil (rice bran is good)
4 tbsp liquid honey
1 tbsp vanilla essence
Ingredients - List 2
1 cup popped wheat
½ cup raisins or sultanas
½ cup dried fruit e.g. apricot, banana, pineapple, cranberries, papaya
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Spray large roasting dish with cooking spray.
- Mix the ingredients from List 1 together, sprinkle into the well-greased roasting dish.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until crisp, golden brown. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from oven, cool completely, then mix in the ingredients from List 2.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in a dark dry place. Consume within 2 weeks.
- Add chopped nuts or ½ cup threaded coconut to ingredients (List 1).
- Add cereal fl akes or rice bubbles to toasted muesli.
- If honey is too solid, place in microwave for 20 seconds to liquify.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
Makes about 9 cups